Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Mr. Hyde, I Presume?

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing, or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? is it snowing? is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing......

- Willy Wonka

Welcome to Mr. Hyde's Tantrumland!

At Mr. Hyde's Tantrumland, you do not keep your arms and legs inside the carriage. At Mr. Hyde's Tantrumland, The Flail is the official state dance. At Mr. Hyde's Tantrumland, anything can set you off. One minute, you will look like this:

And then next, like this:


94% of the time, the J-Dawg is a cheerful guy. For the most part he's relaxed and not bothered by things, but lately he has been having some incredible tantrums. Interestingly, the thing that most often sets him off is his wanting to be held (not a problem), and us NEEDING to stand while holding him (not an easy task for long periods of time).

Let me just say that I love holding my boy. I love feeling his arms around me and his head snuggled into the crook of my neck. I cannot, however, carry his 25 pound, 12 ounce body around for long periods of time without my arms seizing up and feeling like they're going to fall off. Sure, I use the sling to help distribute the weight and that helps quite a bit, but still.

So, as a compromise I figure I'll hold the boy, sit down, and both of us will be happy. Right? That's how compromises work, yeah? Uhm. NOOOOOOOOOOO.....apparently Jasper didn't get that memo and when I sit down, something inside him snaps. All of the sudden the usually cheerful boy turns into a kicking, screaming, flailing freakishly-strong-for-his-age monster and no words, no offer of sippy or binky or even bottle can get through to him. Good times.

Eventually he'll settle down enough to be comforted, but the ride to get there is pretty tedious and fraught with landmines. I know this is just a phase and eventually it too will pass, but man! It sure isn't fun getting eyeballed by the general population for being a terrible parent with an uncontrollable child! I now have nothing but sympathy for all of the parents of children who have public tantrums who have gone before me. It ain't easy, I can attest to that!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, Mr. Hyde is 25 POUNDS? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that ENORMOUS for a kid his age? 25 lbs. of flailing child is nothing to sneeze at, for sure--and virtually impossible to control. Wowzah.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I stand corrected. I dug around and actually found an infant/toddler growth chart, and for 12-month old boys, 23 lbs is average. So really, he's right on track. It's just weird to me to think of him being that big, since we haven't seen him in so long! Wittle Jaspew's getting so big!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Blondie said...

Yup. He's in the 75th percentile all the way around. The docs are pleased with his size (given the first few months of his life), and so are we. Except when he wants to be held for a gazillion years.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally had a chance to stop by and found your new blog. Love those photos of Jekyll and Hyde. I am also amazed how big he is also because I haven't seen him since he was a very little guy.

Glad you made it through the viral/bacterial/rash/who knows what scare. Not fun for you but interesting reading and all part of his story.

X!ne

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home